Sunday, March 1, 2009

Legit vs. Ultimate

Now. Recent conversations with a person we shall refer to as "J" have opened my eyes to how lingo evolves over time, and how some people just can't let old phrases go.
When do you use the right word? Well, there are times when "legit" will work (which is most of the time) and there are times when "ultimate" will work. (not super often.)
According to dictionary.com, the definition of the word "legitimate" is as follows: in accordance with the laws of reasoning; logically inferable; logical: a legitimate conclusion.
The definition of the word "ultimate": maximum; decisive; conclusive: the ultimate authority; the ultimate weapon.
The question is, however, in everyday conversation, which do you use? It really depends on the situation. If I were to say, "I have decided not to buy a brand new car just becuase the onbly reason I wanted it was becuase everyone else was buying one." Then the appropriate response would be: "That's legit." However, if I responded to that very same statement with a, "That's ultimate," that would NOT make ANY sense whatsoever.
Now when talking in terms of "greatest things ever," we may sometimes make use of the word "ultimate." But not very often. For example, if I were for some reason talking about vampires and I said, "Yeah a vampire with the powers to fly and go out in the sun and blah blah blah blah blah.......(pretend I just said all these great things about a vampire)" then it would only be legit for one to respond with a, "That would be the ultimate vampire!!''
But if you'll step back with me for a moment and reread the preceeding statement: then it would only be legit for one to respond with a, "That would be the ultimate vampire!!'' If you notice, I had to use the word "legit" to justify using the word "ultimate." This only goes to show that "legit" takes presidence over "ultimate."
I would like to thank J for J's eye opening conversations which have led me to my legit conclusion that "legit" is better than "ultimate."
I rest my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment